Monday, September 12, 2011

Well, here I am.

Im trying something new. I feel as though random internet rants are an appropriate format for my recent life choices. I'll keep you posted on things like my classes, my mildly old seeming social life and of course, where I stand on the fronts of many battlefields.

As a 5th year undergrad I am experiencing a life of incredible senioritis which is unfortunate because I typically lack enough drive to carry on when I don't have senioritis. So, theres that. I'm finishing up 2 undergraduate degrees and my next and newest life goal, Australia, awaits.

For a while I battled with my mother about joining the peace corps but my desire to please her outweighed my desire to be living in a hut without electricity, running water and English speakers for 2 years. So maybe I'll do that eventually but for now the Peace Corps are on the back burner. Mom 1 - Peace Corps 0. I don't always feel as though we are battling but recently my life choices are a bit off the "norm" for her and I think there are better ways at getting what I want out of this world.

Tangent - Summer 2010 - I visited Ghana. On a whim. I emptied my bank account and flew across the Atlantic to study djembe, gyil and all sorts of West African arts traditions for 3 weeks with 12 strangers, my RA, and Bernard Woma - Ghanaian Gyil Master, and former professor of African drumming at SUNY Fredonia. The second that I stepped off of the plane in Ghana I knew from the bottom of everything that I stand for that I would be changed by this experience and that I would return to the United States a different person. Well. I was right. African changed me. I always knew I wanted to travel but then I knew that 10 days wasn't enough. I almost forked over another $300.00 to stay in Ghana for another 2 months. I think that I should have. I dont regret not doing it but its still an after thought.

Back to now - Since Ghana, my life has been a constent progression towards my next international excursion, hence the Peace Corps thing and the aforementioned battle with mommy.

Today I'm looking at apartments in Sydney Australia and thinking about how my life will change once my name is on a lease there...

1 comment:

  1. Hi maam!
    Interesting blog thingy, you cant move to Australia, we need to hang out first!

    ReplyDelete